Alright, almost caught up. Just a couple more of these and I can move onto… the new summer anime season? Well, guess I can get by on a bit less sleep than usual.
For the last couple of days, Right Stuf has had their countdown running on their usual Coming Soon site leaving fans to wonder what was going to be coming down the pipeline today. Lucky day for fans, Right Stuf didn’t have one but two major announcements for the coming year!
Starting with the first series to carry the Anime no Chikara (Anime of Power) label , Sora no Woto was the first title announced this afternoon. Often referred to as ‘K-ON Joins the Army’ by snarky bloggers who still think it’s funny *cough*, the 12 episode series produced by A-1 Pictures (Black Butler, Moribito) premiered on Crunchyroll in January to a lukewarm response by fans. While absolutely beautiful to look at, many fans lamented the terribly slow pacing and unoriginal character designs. There’s still a quiet charm to this series that puts it on par with other healing anime released by Right Stuf such as Aria the Animation or Piano: A Melody of a Young Girl’s Heart. The series will be released as one box set next year and will include the special DVD only episodes released in Japan!
Also announced at their panel today, Right Stuf has revealed their plans to re-release the entire Revolutionary Girl Utena TV series produced by JC Staff in 1997. All 39 episodes will be released in 3 box sets with remastered video and audio in 2011! The magical girl series has been in high demand with fans for years and now they will get to see it once again.
You know, the weekend is only halfway over but I’m just about ready to call this “The weekend of giving fans just about everything they could possibly ask for!”… eh, or maybe I can work on that title some more and get back to you.
Full press release below the cut
RIGHT STUF & NOZOMI ENTERTAINMENT Announce
REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA TV Series &
SORA NO WOTO
Anime Expo 2010: New license and project announcements
GRIMES, Iowa, July 2, 2010 – Anime producer and distributor Right Stuf, Inc. and its Nozomi Entertainment division made several announcements during its July 2nd panel at Anime Expo 2010 in Los Angeles, California. Right Stuf President and C.E.O. Shawne Kleckner revealed its licenses for the REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA and SORA NO WOTO television series, plus an English-language audio remaster for GRAVITATION and details about the future releases for several previously announced projects, includingJUNJO ROMANTICA 2, DIRTY PAIR, EL-HAZARD: THE WANDERERS and ANTIQUE BAKERY.
REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA TV Series
Right Stuf and Nozomi Entertainment announced the license for the REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA television series, as well as plans to release its 39 episodes as three DVD box sets – featuring the remastered video from the Japanese DVD release withEnglish audio, Japanese audio and English-language subtitles – during 2011.
The critically acclaimed series has been a fan favorite since its 1997 broadcast debut on TV Tokyo and features direction by Kunihiko Ikuhara (Sailor Moon S and SuperS), series composition by Yoji Enokido (Ouran High Host Club, FLCL, Sailor Moon SuperS) and animation by J.C. Staff (Honey and Clover, Slayers, Toradora!). Utena has been described as one of the top five “best anime of all time” (Anime Insider magazine, among others), and the project also inspired animated film, manga and stageplay adaptations. Bothshoujo (girls’) manga, written and illustrated by Chiho Saito, were published in North America by VIZ Media.
Utena is a spirited teenage girl with an unusual dream – to become a prince who helps those in need. However, this sense of chivalry soon places her at odds with her classmates at the Ohtori Academy and thrusts her into a series of mysterious and dangerous duels against members of its student council.
Visit comingsoon.rightstuf.com for more information about the Revolutionary Girl Utena anime and to view its opening credits trailer.
SORA NO WOTO
Right Stuf’s Nozomi Entertainment also announced its license for SORA NO WOTO. The 12-episode series and its DVD-exclusive special episodes are currently scheduled for release in 2011, as a single DVD box set with Japanese audio and English-language subtitles.
Sora no Woto (literally, “Sound of the Sky”) aired on TV Tokyo during Spring 2010 and was the first series produced as part of the “Anime no Chikara” program, a joint initiative by TV Tokyo and Aniplex to develop original animated content for television.
The series is based on an original concept by Paradores and features direction by Mamoru Kanbe (Elfin Lied, Cardcaptor Sakura: The Movie), series composition and scripting by Hiroyuki Yoshino (Macross Frontier, My-Otome) and animation by A-1 Pictures(Black Butler, Big Windup!). Sora no Woto’s opening theme is composed by Yuki Kajiura (Noir, .hack//SIGN) and performed byKalafina (Black Butler).
Inspired by the female soldier who rescued her as a child – and haunted by the refrain the young woman played on her trumpet – Kanata joins the military, determined to become a bugler. She still has much to learn, though, and she is assigned to a remote outpost at the edge of the war-torn landscape. Although a ceasefire has been declared, the women of the 1121st Platoon are charged with both maintaining the Clocktower Fortress and defending the town where it is located from enemy attack.
Visit comingsoon.rightstuf.com for more information about the series.
JUNJO ROMANTICA Season 1 & Merchandise Now Available
More Merchandise on the Way; Season 2 Currently Scheduled for Early 2011
The first JUNJO ROMANTICA DVD Collection is now available. It features the complete 12-episode first season – with Japanese audio, plus English-language subtitles and on-screen translations – and is housed in a thin-profile art box with color booklet.
The first wave of Junjo Romantica merchandise, from Great Eastern Entertainment Co., is also now available and includes wallscroll, keychain and cell phone charm items, with more items on the way, including a plush backpack featuring the series’ mascot Suzuki-san.
And the JUNJO ROMANTICA 2 DVD Collection is currently scheduled for early 2011.
Visit romantica.rightstuf.com for more information about Junjo Romantica, the DVD box sets and merchandise releases.
Additional Release Dates & Info for El-HAZARD: THE WANDERERS, DIRTY PAIR, Remastered GRAVITATION, ANTIQUE BAKERY & More
Finally, Kleckner revealed release dates and additional details for several ongoing and upcoming series:
- The fourth season of MARIA WATCHES OVER US (Maria-sama ga Miteru) arrives on DVD on July 6, 2010, and the suggested retail price for the LOST UNIVERSE DVD Collection will be lowered to $39.99 in August 2010.
- The EL-HAZARD: THE WANDERERS DVD Collection, which is scheduled for September 2010, will feature video that is a significant upgrade from the previous DVD release, as well as the original openings and closings.
- The Super GALS! Complete DVD Collection is scheduled for October 2010. It will feature both seasons of the series together in one DVD set for the first time. Season 1 (Eps. 1-26) will feature English and Japanese audio options, plus English subtitles and on-screen translations. And Season 2 (Eps. 27-52) will feature Japanese dialogue, plus English subtitles and on-screen translations. Visitsupergals.rightstuf.com for more information and to view the series trailer.
- The first DIRTY PAIR DVD set is scheduled for November 2010 and will feature the first 13 episodes of the television series, with Japanese audio, English subtitles and English on-screen translations. Visit dirtypair.rightstuf.com for more information about the upcoming DVD release.
- Also in November 2010, Right Stuf’s Nozomi Entertainment will release the GRAVITATION Complete DVD Collection, which will collect both the 13-episode television series and the Lyrics of Love OVA series together in one DVD set with remastered Dolby Digital 5.1 English audio, Dolby Digital 2.0 English and Japanese audio options, and English subtitles and on-screen translations.
- The ANTIQUE BAKERY DVD Collection is currently scheduled for early 2011.
- The anime publisher has plans to extend its line of lithograph art prints – which currently includes art from ARIA The NATURAL,CLANNAD and The IRRESPONSIBLE CAPTAIN TYLOR – with a potential second lithographs (to-be-determined by fan vote) forClannad and ARIA, as well as a new print featuring art from the fan-favorite series AZUMANGA DAIOH.
- Right Stuf and Nozomi Entertainment have licensed both original and anime series artwork to MusicSkins, which producesprotective coverings for phone, MP3, laptop, iPad, video game and other portable devices. Designs featuring artwork from theARIA anime series, plus the original works Ninja Crossing and Crane Inspiration, are now available at www.musicskins.com and will soon be available via the RightStuf.com storefront.
Future designs will feature the RightStuf.com Otaku characters, as well as additional anime series.
ABOUT RIGHT STUF, INC.
Currently celebrating its 23rd year in business, Right Stuf, Inc. was one of the first players in the U.S. Japanese Animation (“anime”) industry, as both an anime producer/distributor and a retailer. Right Stuf works to promote knowledge of its own products, as well as the anime and manga industry, in general, through its online storefront at RightStuf.com and a variety of media including podcasts and special publications.
Nozomi Entertainment, Right Stuf’s production division, is dedicated to the highest quality releases. True to the Japanese word that inspired its name, Nozomi’s focus is on “what fans want.” By focusing on a limited number of anime properties each year, the Nozomi production team ensures each release receives the care and attention to detail it deserves.
From anime classics like Astro Boy, Kimba and Gigantor to modern comedies, dramas and favorites such as The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, His and Her Circumstances, Gravitation, Ninja Nonsense, The Third: The Girl With the Blue Eye, Emma: A Victorian Romance,Maria Watches Over Us, ARIA, Gakuen Alice, Rental Magica and Junjo Romantica, Right Stuf and Nozomi Entertainment produce quality programming for fans of all ages and interests. For more information, visit www.rightstuf.com and www.nozomient.com.